Monday, June 6, 2011

Roast Veggies

This was super easy and no fuss since I was already roasting a chicken anyway. The maple syrup didn't leave much of a flavor, it just helped everything caramelize. I made this with golden beets, in my unending quest to get Chris to like beets, I think the golden beets made this dish look very fall-y. Nice warm brown, orange and gold colors. I think the green onion sets this off beautifully, don't know what red beets would do to the presentation... I imagine make everything pink.

I added an extra carrot and an extra parsnip rather than a rutabaga, cause they're gross and parsnips are delicious. Next time I might nix the carrot altogether. I also subbed yams for the sweet potato because I like their flavor better. I thought the cook time was a little long. Everything was tender after 1 hour. that might be because I sliced them a little small. I totally forgot the green onion and the butter. Next time! Definitely a good solid recipe.

Bottom Line: 4.0 Stars

Roast Vegetables
Ingredients
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 garlic clove, minced
4 large beets, peeled, quartered
2 Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
2 carrots, peeled, cut diagonally into 2-inch-long pieces
2 parsnips, peeled, cut diagonally into 2-inch-long pieces
1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1 rutabaga, peeled, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1 large onion, peeled, quartered through root end
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted
1/3 cup chopped green onions

Method


Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix oil, syrup and garlic in small bowl. Place all remaining ingredients except butter and green onions on heavy large rimmed baking sheet. Pour oil mixture over; toss to coat. Spread out vegetables in single layer. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 1 1/2 hours. Transfer vegetables to platter. Drizzle vegetables with butter. Sprinkle with chopped green onions and serve immediately.

No comments: