Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cod with Mango Salsa and Black Bean & Corn Tortilla Cakes

I love fish with fruit salsa. When I was little I didn't like mangos, I think they just got lumped in with Papaya as some disgusting tropical fruit. I still think papaya is gross and smells like vomit and butt, however I have very seriously changed my mind about mangoes. 

I thought the mango salsa could have been more mango-y, maybe next time I'll chop it a little finer so that it distributes more evenly. In addition I added 1 tbs of minced jalapeno to the salsa. My biggest issue was that I really wanted a firmer fish, like halibut rather than cod, but cod is so much cheaper it was hard to justify to myself, or Chris, spending 4x as much money on the Halibut. Swordfish or Mahi Mahi would make this dish AMAZING.

The corn cakes were awesome, and really easy to make. I shortened them down to 2 layers (3 tortillas) rather than 3 layers because that seemed ridiculous given the height of the things as it was, and I also didn't have quite enough tortillas to make it that way. There was a TON of cheese in these, so if you are dieting I would suggest cutting the amount of cheese down to 1 cup of each, it would probably still be plenty.This would be an awesome meal to cook for a gluten free family member or friend!

UPDATE: I made this with prawns and thought it was better than cod, but I still think a good firm fish would be preferable.

Bottom Line: 4.6 Stars (I'll probably up it to a 5 when I figure out the right fish!)
Black Bean and Corn Tortilla cakes

1 cup rinsed and drained canned black beans, patted dry
1 cup fresh corn (from about 2 ears)
1 cup finely chopped red onion
1 1/2 cups grated extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 6 ounces)
twelve 6- to-7 inch flour tortillas
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
(a little chopped cilantro on the last layer)

In a bowl, toss together beans, corn, and onion. In another bowl, toss together cheeses. Put 3 tortillas in one layer on a large heavy baking sheet. Sprinkle each tortilla with about 1/3 cup bean mixture and about 1/3 cup cheese mixture and top with a second tortilla; Make 2 more layers on each tortilla in same manner with remaining bean mixture, cheeses, and tortillas, gently pressing each layer down and ending with a fourth tortilla on top of each cake. Tortilla cakes may be prepared up to this point 6 hours ahead and chilled, wrapped well in plastic wrap.
Preheat oven to 450°F.
In a small bowl, stir together oil and cayenne and lightly brush mixture over top of each cake. Bake cakes in middle of oven until golden, about 12 to 15 minutes. Cut cakes into wedges and serve immediately.

Mango Salsa

1 firm-ripe mango, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
(1 tbs minced jalapeno)

No comments: