Friday, April 22, 2011

Prawns w/ Avocado and Blood Orange Salsa

Ooooh man. This was GOOD. Like top 5 home-cooked meals ever good. I think all the stuff I made would be great made into tacos with a little rice added. That being said it was really good just on it's own. I've had blood oranges before, but these were so sweet and so tangy they practically sizzled on your tongue! The salsa was such a nice counterpoint to the buttery-ness of the prawns.

I served it with black beans, which don't look so pretty in the pictures, but really they aren't the focus anyway! I really need to learn something to do to doctor canned black beans besides simply warming them up. I like them better than most other beans, but they are still sort of ho-hum unless you take the time to really make them from scratch.

I added about half a cup of cilantro to the mix, and I think it was a good thing I did. Who ever heard of fresh salsa without cilantro. That's just crazy talk. In the future I will also add a little cumin and maybe a touch or oregano. Also, my blood oranges were teeny-weeny so I used four of them. Chris thinks that they need to be chopped rather than segmented so their distribution is more even throughout the salsa. I sort of liked pairing a wedge with each prawn, but I see his point. I'll try it next time and update. I'll also add photos to this post and the previous one this weekend.

  • 1 blood orange, Cara Cara orange, or regular orange
  • 1/2 cup 1/3-inch cubes avocado
  • 1/3 cup chopped red onion
  • 2 teaspoons minced red jalapeño
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice

  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1/2 lb medium-large prawns
  • Salt and pepper to taste


  1. Using small sharp knife, cut peel and white pith from orange. Working over small bowl, cut between membranes to release segments. Add avocado, onion, jalapeño, and lime juice to oranges in bowl; stir gently to blend. Season salsa to taste with salt.
  2. Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle prawns with salt and pepper. Add prawns to skillet and sauté until cooked through.
  3. Place prawns on each of 2 plates. Spoon salsa on top and serve.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds Yum!
Check the final instruction in the recipe (Oops!Filet?)
Next time you come home, you're cooking EVERYDAY!!!

Miss R. said...

Ummm I don't think so lady! You're still the best. Besides, I can cook for me anytime, but I only get your food twice a year! When you come visit me I'll cook.