Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pork is a very misunderstood meat.

Chris was under the impression that he didn't like pork chops. Which I knew had to be crazy. Understandable though, considering what a mess most people make of pork chops, especially overcooking them. Overcooked pork is just... sad. Dry and sad.

Needless to say the situation needed to be remedied. Pork and Seafood fight for first place in my heart. So Friday night I made breaded pork chops, skillet greens and applesauce.

I didn't have bread so I used pre-made bread crumbs so I didn't add any salt like you would in this recipe. I think there was way too many or my chops were just much smaller. Either way I'm cutting back on them next time and increasing the garlic a little.

For the greens I made them according to the recipe using chard and kale, this time we didn't use the bacon fat, and despite what the recipe says I have concluded it is absolutely NOT optional. The pork fat plus the applecider vinegar is what makes that taste so good. However, they were remarkably good cold the next day, and I'm inclined to think the pork fat wouldn't have made it as good for leftovers. So if you are planning on eating them all in one night, definitely go with the bacon, if not it's up to you.

The applesauce was just out of the jar. I'm remaking this recipe (minus the greens) tonight and I'm going to warm the applesauce and doctor it a little.

Bottom Line: Porkchops 4.6 stars and this version of Greens 4.1 stars
No pictures for this one, didn't think about it till it was already consumed!

Pork Chops (I halved this recipe)
  • 2 cups milk
  • 3 teaspoons salt
  • 8 (1/2-inch-thick) pork chops (with or without bone; 2 lb total) (I used rib chops)
  • 3 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs (from 10 slices firm white sandwich bread, ground in a food processor)
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried, crumbled
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried, crumbled
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter

  1. Soak chops in milk and 2 tsp salt leave for 1 hour
  2. Toss herbs, remaining salt, breadcrumbs and garlic
  3. Dredge chops in breadcrumb mixture
  4. Cook in butter and oil till cooked (approximately 5-6 minutes per side)

No comments: