Friday, April 29, 2011

Broccoli in Oyster sauce

Last night seemed like the first night this week that Chris and I had a normal schedule. So nice. He's been stressed out with work, which stresses me out, on top of that my uncle is in the hospital so I'm all freaked out about that.

Last night we had pan fried steak and broccoli stir fried in oyster sauce. I really like broccoli, but I usually just steam it so I've been on the look out for something new to do to it. I found this recipe and thought I'd give it a try. I really enjoyed the flavor, I just wish that the sauce was a bit thicker. Still it was pretty good and all that sauce soaked into the rice nicely. Any suggestions on how to thicken Asian sauces? I don't like the aftertaste that cornstarch leaves... 

The only other thing I'd want to do is maybe sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on the top. Bring out the flavor of the oil a bit. No pictures this time. Sorry!

Asian Broccoli in Garlic-Oyster sauce
1 1/2 lb broccoli (about 1 head)
1 tablespoon canola oil (I used peanut oil)
4 garlic cloves, lightly smashed
1 tablespoon minced ginger
3 tablespoons Asian oyster sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil


Peel off tough outer skin of broccoli stem, then halve broccoli crosswise (top half with florets should equal length of bottom half). Cut bottom half (stem) lengthwise into 1/2-inch-wide wedges, then cut top half (stem with florets) into long spears with 1/2-inch-wide wedges.
Heat a wok over high heat until beginning to smoke, then add canola oil and swirl to coat sides. Stir-fry garlic until golden, about 30 seconds, then add broccoli and stir-fry 5 minutes. Stir in oyster sauce and stock and cook, covered, until broccoli is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and toss with sesame oil.

No comments: