Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Roasted Romanesco

So my produce box came with one of the strangest veggies ever. Romanesco, also known as Roman Cauliflower, it is completely bizarre looking. It looks a little like a miniature alien city. Here's a picture!


See! Crazy right?

I'm pretty sure my Mom has made it for me before but I couldn't really remember, so I didn't want to do too much to it, because I wanted to get a good feel for the flavor. I decided to roast it, and then promptly made my boyfriend cook dinner, so he should probably be writing this post.

Overall I liked the flavor of it quite a bit. It was hard for me to eat cause Chris went a little nutso with the red pepper flakes, but what I could taste was pretty yum. Roasting brought out a really nice nutty flavor similar to what happens when you roast broccoli, but it overall it had a much more similar flavor to cauliflower. Anyway here's the recipe

Ingredients:
1 medium head fresh Romanesco, cleaned & chopped in to bite-size florets
5 medium cloves garlic, diced
1/8 cup olive oil
Salt & Pepper
Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 of a lemon (wedged)
1/4 (or less) cup grated fresh parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 375F degrees. 
2. In a bowl toss romanesco, garlic, olive oil , red pepper flakes and salt 
3. Roast on a baking sheet for about 20-40 minutes or until just tender
4. Squeeze lemon over it
5. Sprinkle cheese over the top

No comments: