Monday, March 11, 2013

Broccoli with Caramelized Onions and Pine Nuts

I don't know about you, but I get seriously tired of steamed broccoli. I'm dieting right now, and I know it's a really great vegetable, but after so many nights of it I just want something else. Don't get me wrong I eat other veggies, but steamed broccoli is an incredibly quick and easy thing to prepare so it get's thrown into the rotation with a little more regularity.

I think this recipe has a lot of potential. I think the next time I make it rather than steaming the broccoli I'm going to roast it, which, while taking more time, will bring out a nice nutty flavor that I think will mesh well with the additional nuttiness of the pine nuts and the sweetness of the vinegar. I also feel like it could do with a little heat, but I'm not sure what.

This recipe isn't perfect as far as diets go, onions have a lot of sugar (though they do prevent heart disease) and pine nuts have some added fat, but it's good fat, so I'm not going to worry too much. I think next time I'm going to do garlic, sun-dried tomato and red pepper flakes instead of the onion and vinegar.

3 tablespoon(s) pine nuts, or chopped slivered almonds
2 teaspoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup(s) chopped onion (about 1 medium)
1/4 teaspoon(s) salt, or to taste
4 cup(s) broccoli florets
2 teaspoon(s) balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground pepper, to taste

1. Toast pine nuts (or almonds) in a medium dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
2. Add oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, adjusting heat as necessary, until soft and golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, steam broccoli until just tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. 
4. Once the onions are finished add vinegar (the original recipe didn't do this, but it will coat things more evenly and pick up some good pan flavors).
5. Add the nuts, onion mixture and pepper; toss to coat. Serve immediately.

No pictures today! Sorry

No comments: