Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentine's Day Menu: Dessert

In case you weren't completely overwhelmed by rich, decadent food already...
For dessert one of the richest and in my mind one of the most quintessentially Valentine's Day deserts out there.


Post Dinner Update:
So if you've read the mater post and seen my original edit at the bottom of this page you know I actually made two chocolate mousses. My Mom's was perfect. Light, airy, awesome. You will notice some white spots in mine. I personally don't worry too much about getting my mousse PERFECTLY mixed, because you end up crushing a lot of the egg whites and it tends to deflate even if you are the gentlest of folders (which I am not). I also did not add the extra whip cream dollop on top, I don't really think it's necessary aside from presentation, and just fills in space that should be reserved for chocolate only.

Mom's Chocolate Mouse
Can be made 1 day ahead.
Ingredients
3/4 cup chilled heavy cream, divided
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup espresso or strong coffee, room temperature
3 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
6 ounces semisweet chocolate (60-72% cacao), chopped
2 large egg whites

1. Beat 1/2 cup cream in medium bowl until stiff peaks form; cover and chill.
2. Dissolve sugar in coffee and heat over gently simmering water
3. Add chocolate and whisk till combined and hot through. Remove from heat
4. Add eggs one at a time whisking constantly. Let stand, whisking occasionally, until room temperature.
5. Using an electric mixer, beat egg white in another medium bowl on medium speed until foamy. 6. With mixer running, gradually beat in remaining 1 Tbsp. sugar. Increase speed to high and beat until firm peaks form.
7. Fold egg whites into chocolate in 2 additions
8. Fold whipped cream into mixture just to blend.
9. Divide mousse among six teacups or 4-oz. ramekins. Chill until firm, at least 2 hours. 
10. Cover and keep chilled. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
11. Before serving, whisk remaining 1/4 cup cream in a small bowl until soft peaks form; dollop over mousse.
Sides
Main Course

Edit: If you looked at the recipe last night, you may have noticed some changes I have made today. The reason for that is I had a mousse crisis last night. The Bon Appetit recipe is overly complicated and it's very easy to break your egg yolks if you do it that way. This way is much easier, I've done it before with my Mom and it will make you way less crazy. 

No comments: